Monday, January 17, 2011
After 20+ years of marriage, I finally got our Christmas Stockings made. I've always wanted to have some nice homemade stockings but just never seemed to think about it much until Christmas time rolled around and then, of course, was too busy sewing and doing other things for the season. I always put my Willie Raye nativity on the mantel. The colors of it are not traditional bright Christmas colors at all, but are rather muted. So, I knew my stockings needed to be, too, to keep from overpowering and detracting from the nativity. So, I searched for a long time for a antique cutter quilt on ebay in colors I thought would harmonize nicely. A cutter quilt, if you don't know, is a quilt in such bad shape it isn't useful for anything other than cutting up and reusing in other things. The quilt I got had many worn areas where the batting was showing, some large holes and rust stains. But, there was still enough in good enough shape I was able to cut out 7 stocking fronts. I found a taupe fabric that matched perfectly, and was ready to go and got them done just in time for Christmas. They are all unique, but I know I won't be able to tell whose is whose without some other identifier added. Not sure what to do for that. I think they turned out nice and cozy looking.