Friday, April 4, 2008

The Crocus

Beneath the sunny autumn sky,
With gold leaves dropping round,
We sought, my little friend and I,
The consecrated ground,
Where, calm beneath the holy cross,
O'ershadowed by sweet skies,
Sleeps tranquilly that youthful form,
Those blue unclouded eyes.



Around the soft, green swelling mound
We scooped the earth away,
And buried deep the crocus-bulbs
Against a coming day.
"These roots are dry, and brown, and sere;
Why plant them here?" he said,
"To leave them, all the winter long,
So desolate and dead."



"Dear child, within each sere dead form
There sleeps a living flower,
And angel-like it shall arise
In spring's returning hour."
Ah, deeper down cold, dark, and chill
We buried our heart's flower,
But angel-like shall he arise
In spring's immortal hour.



In blue and yellow from its grave
Springs up the crocus fair,
And God shall raise those bright blue eyes,
Those sunny waves of hair.
Not for a fading summer's morn,
Not for a fleeting hour,
But for an endless age of bliss,
Shall rise our heart's dear flower.

by Harriet Beecher Stowe

15 comments:

  1. I loved the ethereal quality of this poem and enjoyed the delicate purple petals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem. And great pictures fo go along with it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice poem! We've just had our crocus bloom and hopefully the unexpected snow we got today doesn't take them out. I want Spring back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful poem and pictures. Did you make/ take those pictures yourself,or find them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poem is breathtaking, as well as the flowers. Spring is an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tearese,

    I took the pictures. They are one's I planted on my back hill last fall so I could look out the window and see the first signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great poem, and I love the pictures too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to plant crocuses randomly on a hill like that, not in a bed. They look so beautiful!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby wants me to plant crocuses if all goes well and we get our new house. He says no weeding involved, to just plant them randomly. Yay! Little work and something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly my crocus' have come and gone but fortunately, my narcissis and tulips are coming up to replace them. Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crocus!! They are such happy little flowers. I just wish they lasted longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I envy your talent and your crocus(es?)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love spring!

    Blessings,
    ~Martie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures go so beautifully with this poem Nettie! And I found an action similar to this... I've been having fun with it, too!

    ReplyDelete