Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008 New Year's Resolutions

Its that time of year again. I have been thinking about New Year's Resolutions since Christmas. We even had a very good Sharing Time on Sunday on making them that made me ponder them further. I can't seem to decide the best way to do them. Obviously, I don't want to make resolutions that are simply unattainable or that are no brainer easy. There would be no growth in that. But, where along the continuum of "realistic" does one aim? Do I make resolutions that I feel pretty confident about succeeding in, or do I aim higher, even intentionally making them challenging enough that it is unlikely they will all be achieved. There is an element of personal integrity involved. If I make a commitment to DO something and then fail to do it, don't I harm that integrity? But, is greater growth possible if one aims higher, even if one falls short? I have already demonstrated that I am not perfect in achieving my resolutions. But, I do know I stretch myself by having them. With that in mind, I am going to experiment with aiming high this year. Doing so may cause me to stretch further, or I may fall even farther short.

What I will Try to do this year.
(Notice I did not say Resolve- thereby avoiding the personal integrity issue.)


Greater focus on self education.
I found this group at the end of last year. It is a group of LDS women, mostly homeschoolers, who are concerned about their own education, as well as their children's. They create a curriculum for self-study each year. As a part of this course of study I will be working on:

Gospel Study
Participate in Monthly Book club/Literature Study
Learn the Monthly primary song and a hymn each month
Learn about Charlotte Mason teaching Philosophy
Learn to sign better, do sign with Cyrus
Learn to draw better
Practice Piano 6 days/week
Make quilted stockings for next Christmas

Parenting
Study Book of Mormon as a family by reading/listening/discussing at dinner time
Start preschool in the fall with Elsie
Teach kids a nature class and a Book of Mormon class over the summer
Take the kids swimming lots over the summer

Provident Living
Finish 72 hr kits
build food storage
Learn to bake better bread
Can applesauce and apple butter, as well as the usual strawberry and raspberry jams
Strive to stay on top of finances better

House Projects
Redo kids rooms and paint new murals
Paint Kitchen
Touch up paint trim
Downsize and better organize house

Church Service
Be more diligent in my visiting teaching. I have really done poorly in this.
Be a better leader in my Primary calling. This is where I have really applied myself time and diligence wise. But, I really am more of a follower than a leader and could use working on my leadership skills.

For Fun!
Keep a Nature Journal

For Christmas, DH got me a Nature Journal "Kit":







And a nice moleskin blank book to start my journal in. I will probably use my Christmas money to get a couple more field guides. I am so excited to to this!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That is ambitious. I work best with one big goal. Otherwise I forget. I guess that is why are suppose to write them down. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun challenges, Netty. I'm excited to read your reports along the way. The nature journal and classes are right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are able to do all that you want in the New Year. HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good list!
    I love your snowy pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you organized your Resolutions! I've never thought about doing it like that. If I had it up where I could see it I might just finish something this year - LOL. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Plus, those are some great nature journal books! I own them and they are my favorites! Hope they bring you as much joy as they do me!

    ~Chanelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great goals! I hope you reach your goals and not fall too short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot for the stars! You will be a better person (not that you are a bad person now). Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly do a magnificent job as Primary president already and I wish you well on all your other goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nettie-you really inspired me last year with how you posted your resolutions and then followed up. I'm not sure if I'm ready to put mine on my blog-but I am keeping a written account this year thanks to you!
    :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. that nature journal thing sounds fun! Something cool to do with kids too. Good luck on all of your ambitious goals! I think I will stick with the goal of "Do something productive".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! I really admire your goals! I haven't even written mine down yet. Thanks for the motivation and good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete