Friday, October 13, 2006

Gag!

Since having children, I have learned that mother's make far more sacrifices for the benefit of their children than any "nonmother type person" can possibly imagine. And every once in awhile, I am surprised to learn of a new sacrifice I am willing to make for one of my children. Tonight was such a moment.

We get to go see Marvin playing drums in several parades this fall. We had never gone to ANY parades before he started doing this, and have discovered we LOVE small town parades. The marching bands, military groups marching and all the candy throwing are our favorites.

Tonight was the local University Homecoming Parade. It was 42 degrees outside and DH couldn't come. So I bundled everyone up really well, the kids grabbed grocery sacks for the candy haul, and away we went. Of course with all that candy flying through the air, Elsie wanted some. So, I gave her a dum dum sucker. Awhile later, I gave her another. And then another. 3 suckers for a toddler seems like alot. But, by this time we were into this parade for over an hour, not counting the "wait for it to start time"! Her hand became very, very sticky. Do I have wipes or napkins with me? No, of course not! She has developed this thing about having "ticky" hands and starts freaking out. I have no idea how much longer we have of this parade, so I did the only thing I could do:

I licked her hand clean. Really. Mmm. Slobber sauce.

(Oh, and we still feel like it was a great time!)

Ever made any unusual sacrifices for your children?

15 comments:

  1. Now now what kind of mother are you to forget the wet ones. jk. I don't think I have ever done anything that bad for any of my children. But tell us -- how did it taste? LOL We all need good lessons in our lives. right? Love all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I can totally see myself doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I've never done that. Yuck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niiiiice one! *High five* Way to take one for the team. Personally, I've always thought there was something about picking up someone else's warm poo that put it in to the category of super-human-motherly love. There are not enough thicknessess of paper towel to insulate from the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nettie! Applause is all you are getting from me! I love clapping for my friends' good deeds! Well done. I am sure it was nasty, but what's a mama to do when the baby can't stand "ticky" hands?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I did was Valerie is doing... that was hard... I LOVE CHEESE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You really must love her. A lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pick a day ... any day.

    Seriously. Last week I was at a playdate and didn't have any kleenex and found myself using my nice shirt to wipe my toddler's nose. Lovely, huh?

    I've taken to carrying a small (10 count) pack of wipes with me at ALL times. YOU might benefit from that, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. uhh yah- the things I have licked, touched, improvised- Momming seriously brings out eveyrone's "mcguyverish" ingenuity

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is disgusting!!! I hope they at least hadn't picked up any dirt first! The grossest thing I remember doing for my oldest was catching her throw-up with my shirt when she was little....It makes a pretty good basket when pulled the right way, but has terrible leaking problems!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gag! Blech! Spit! Most of the gaggy mom things I have done recently involves our 3 year old and bogey's. He likes to hand them to me - what am I supposed to do with that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I told Hubster about this post and we both had a good laugh, then he reminded me that I'd licked off a boo-boo one day when we were out and only half prepared. I carry band-aides in my purse, but there was enough blood it wasn't going to stick without a little clean up. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! That is definitely a gagger, Nettie! :) But way to go. I recently had to lick yogurt off my toddlers hand when I had no other option. Thourally watered down by baby slobber. *bleck*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wet my fingers with spit and used them to wipe Laylee's face clean the other day. She was really excited that my "spit tastes like candy." I hope she doesn't tell anyone else that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nettie, you are so cool! I have mother-spitted child clean many a time.

    ReplyDelete