Friday, July 7, 2006

Salem, MA

We did a day trip on our vacation up to Salem, MA. We've gone there before, in October, when the crowds were thick and full of unusually dressed people, making you think they are on their way to Diagon Alley. It seems Salem is a bit of a witch mecca, which is really ironic considering how fervently the residents in 1692 sought to eradicate any presence of witchcraft out of their town.

It seems some young girls started accusing women of practicing witchcraft, snowballing a flurry of accusations and trials. Hundreds of people were investigated, 19 were sent to the gallows, and one man was pressed to death for failing to make a plea. It didn't end until the girls went too far and accused the govenor's wife. There is a memorial next to the cemetary with each of the names of the sentenced. Some of their statements are engraved in stone and are really sad, "I am wholly innocent of this wickedness", "I will speak the truth as long as I live", "God knows I am innocent." Very sad. Moving on now...



I really liked visiting Salem when it wasn't so crowded, mostly because my favorite part of Salem is the Architecture. We first toured The Witch House, which dates back to at least 1675 and is a great example of 17th century architecture with its overhanging top story, narrow unpainted clapboards, and small diamond windows. I find this style very dark and dreary. The home belonged to Judge Jonathan Corwin, one of the judges responsible for trying the witch cases.



It has a typical enormous hearth from that time, where the women would have several cooking fires going at once, not unlike our using several stove top burners. With their long skirts moving amongst the fires, they were at high risk of catching themselves aflame. To prevent it, they often would dampen the bottoms of their dresses. Even so, infected burns were a common cause of death at that time. To keep the little ones out of the fire, they would tie them to themselves with strings. Thus the source of "tied to his mother's apron strings". Another reason to be glad we live when we do!

Enough of the depressing, and time for the pretty stuff! My favorite Architecture styles are Georgian and Federal. The McIntyre district of Salem, named after architect Samuel McIntyre, is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods to see these old houses, especially along Chestnut Street:

Federal Style
Georgian Style
Lovely fence.

Aren't they the most beautiful houses you've ever seen?

23 comments:

  1. Hi Nettie, thanks for stopping in to my place. That's my neck of the woods. Or, well, it used to be. I grew up just over the MA border in CT. So, those lovely pictures of yours just brings warm memories and humid too. ;0]

    Do you live up there or were you just vacationing? I haven't had a chance to peruse your blog and I have to scoot. I 'm late for work. Later, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream is to live in a similar house one day! I love old houses! They have THE most character so it makes me wonder why people want custom homes and don't take the time or money to make them really special with nooks and crannies and hidden doorways.

    Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again you have posted some wonderful pictures and made me jealous of the things you get to experince back in the east. I really wish I could go back there on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great history!!! A little depressing, but most history is! I love the houses. I could see you living in such a place! I am loving going on this virtual vacation with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat place to visit! I actually wrote a report on the Salem Witch trials. How crazy! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The history behind some of these old homes is quite dark, but then again the times were hard. But the homes are beautiful! And I agree, lovely fence...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those homes are gorgeous. You just don't see things like that out west. The history is so interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos! Is Salem very crowded these days?
    Poor little burned babies! I read someplace that burns were such a major cause of infant death for so much of human history - it makes me very grateful to have a stove!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that's where "cutting the apron strings" came from. Did you ever read "Witch of Blackbird Pond" when you were in grade school? I always thought those witch trials were so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cool houses! The witch stuff gives me the hebe-gebees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Those houses are amazing! And now, thanks to you, I've learned MORE about those infamous witch trials! Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! Sometime you should come and visit Officer's Row here in Vancouver.

    Some of my ancestors were among those accused or killed in the Salem witch trials. So completely senseless... I'm glad they've captured it for history's sake, to show what can happen when people believe rumors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dream about houses like that! They are amazing. The history of witch trials is fascinating to me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post ... I love Salem. I never knew the origin of the "cut the apron strings" but it makes perfectly good sense, those hearths are huge! Yikes, I don't know how I'd function with 3 babes tied to me, though. It would probably be quite similar to my safety harness fiasco! The architecture is beautiful, but the stories of the young women that were executed is so very sad. It breaks my heart whenever I hear of it.

    BTW - my 10 butter crocks arrived yesterday. One went to my mom for her birthday, one went to a good friend, one is for us (which we love) and the rest will be passed out at Christmas time. Check ME out... I've got a start on my Christmas shopping in JULY. This is absolutely unheard of!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll take the Federal style, thanks.
    Once again, beautiful pics, great post.

    Reminds me of "The Crucible". Scary stuff, those were some dark times, people just went overboard, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how FUN!!! I love history and I wouldn't mind one of those houses either..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the huge-o-normus fire place! Old houses are cool on the outside, but I hate how they had to be all chopped up square rooms on the inside...KWIM? I would likely not be a good candidate for a restoration project since my first thought is "If we tore that wall out..." Maybe has something to do with my little claustrophobia problem, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so cool!! I love hearing stories about witch craft debats, etc. Even though it is kind of sad there is something to be said about the swaying and persuading of groups. Let's hope that nothing of that nature ever happens again in our society!

    Thank you for your words of comfort on my blog. They mean a lot to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fascinating! The photos are beautiful.

    Nettie, I smile each time I read a comment that you have left on my blog. Thanks for encouraging me! C

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOOhhh! I love the history, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow -- what beautiful pictures! I love looking at places that I have always read about, but never visited. It's fun for me to read your blog and see what the country looks like on the other side!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey,
    Just linked here from another's site and I'm always glad to find an LDS mom's blog. Gorgeous pics...makes me wish I was there with all those beautiful trees. Shade. Glorious shade...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like your blog! I found it through ittybittyfrogideas, is she your sister? Anyway, I love the pictures of the Cape, I think that is my favorite place in the world, or one of them anyway. We are currently living in MA right now, so get to go occasionally. We have also lived in AZ and UT. Do you live close by or were you visiting from far away? It's fun to see someone else's pictures of it. I'm sure I'll be stopping by to read regularly, although I am trying to not spend my WHOLE life blogging and reading other peoples blogs. It's so hard though! I've thought that I will have to give myself a daily time limit like I do for my kids.
    Oh, and by the way, that whole Bratz thing is so infuriating. No six year old is "developing" yet, and no girl of any age needs to dress like that or have dolls that do. Luckily, I have all boys so the clothes issue isn't such a big problem for me. Of course I have to worry about them seeing all the immodest girls so I guess it's a problem either way. Thanks for your insights and for standing up for what's right!
    Have a great day!
    Elisabeth
    lambie-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete