Saturday, July 1, 2006

Cape Cod: Penniman House

Captain Penniman's House

Edward Penniman was a wealthy whaling captain who built a house on Fort Hill in the town of Eastham. It has been under restoration for awhile, and this last visit we finally got a chance to tour it. It was built in the French Second Empire style with a mansard style roof and elaborate millwork and design on both the interior and exterior. It even has a cupola on top where the Captain would sit and watch the children playing below, and the sea beyond. It is remarkably preserved. Most of the interior woodwork and wallcoverings are the originals.

Curving central hall and stairs.

The Cape Cod National Seashore purchased the house in 1963 for $28,000 from the Captain's grandaughter. Today it is worth millions.

Furnished bedroom.



















At the time, the grandaughter offered to sell the home's furnishings for a small additional sum, but was told the park service wasn't in the business of antique collecting. Talk about a mistake! Later they spent far more money in trying to locate and acquire some of the items from that original collection.

Millwork above back door.

The rectangular block design in the millwork is called dentil molding. Can you guess why?

As an avid lover of historical architecture, I loved visiting this house!

14 comments:

  1. So beautiful, looks like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can type that would read as wowed as I am?
    That's beautiful. I just need to go there

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures. Makes me think that I am looking at an magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The architecture is so beautiful. I've never been to Cape Cod but you make me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh - and so glad to know your kids had some OCD issues too. My son has quite a few - i will be sharing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so beautiful. I loved visiting these old houses when I visited Tennessee. But up here in my land things just aren't that old!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the mill work. To die for. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool house! I love old houses...they have such great character. I love dentil molding. Our house has dentil bricking. What a fun place to take your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful building! Cape Cod looks like such a great place to visit - and I'd never even thought of it before. Thank you for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love old beautiful houses. Especially ones close to the beach. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, gorgeous :)

    I love old homes too. What an opportunity, to see so many historical sites! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love old homes... I want an old house to restore someday. Great photos and history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This takes my breath away, Nettie. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. all these cape pictures are gonna make me load up in the car and head over there

    ReplyDelete