Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Cape Cod: Antique Shops

The Spy Glass

I love antiques. Route 6A, especially as it travels through Brewster, has many wonderful antique shops. One of them is The Spy Glass. It has many maritime related objects and is a special favorite of Grandpa Tony, who is an accomplished ship model builder. They had a fantastic tiny ship model there, "Brigate Bertha", built in 1589. That's almost 200 years before the declaration of Independance was signed! (Be sure to click on the subtitle to see the close up photos!):

Brigate Bertha

I also really liked this English leather firefighter bucket from 1898. I loved the handpainted design of the front. People just don't make stuff like this anymore, especially beautiful everyday things.

English leather firefighter bucket

Another Favorite Shop is a clock shop called the The Village Peddler in Dennis. I love when any of the clocks start to chime during a visit. Grandma Sally is an avid antique clock lover and has collected several, many of which have been skillfully cleaned and refurbished by this gentleman, the proprietor of the shop:

The Village Peddler

If he isn't too busy, he will often sit in one of the rockers and talk about clocks. They are obviously a passion for him. He also often has a few other interesting items. This is, in fact, where we bought this on a previous visit:

Western Electric 302 phone.

It is an antique phone from the late 1920's. It is the same kind you often see in those old black and white movies. My husband figured out how to get it working again and it now sits on the table in the family room. It makes a wonderful clicking sound as you dial, but my favorite sound is the ringer.

We didn't come home with any new finds this time, but the continuing hunt is half the fun!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh! I wish you could post the sound of your phone ringing! I LOVE the ship. That is one of the coolest things I've seen all day. What a fun, fun vacation you had! So many fun things to see and do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH! you are killing me.
    I'm dying here

    ReplyDelete
  3. the phone works? that is the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nettie: I love all of these Cape Cod posts. Thanks for sharing your trip with everyone.

    The phone is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such wonderful stories and things to share. I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing finds!!! I love the phone, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to go shopping for antiques with you. I went to a shop in Albequerque this spring, and found an antique iron I wish I would have bought for my laundry room (DH thought it was silly, so I didn't get it....have been kicking myself ever since because it was only $10!). I will have to look around here and see if there are any fun shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woh I like your blog posts, saved to fav! . site link

    ReplyDelete