Thursday, June 22, 2006

Overwhelming...

When I return from a vacation, I am always amazed to see the growth that has occurred in my garden in my absence. This is what I found this time. They are radishes. Some are 4 feet tall! I had no idea they could do that. They were overwhelming the peppers and basil trying to grow behind them.








And I found these had started to bloom:





We also discoverd the cherries were ready to harvest. I took this picture yesterday morning. But, by the end of yesterday, the birds had had a feast and they were gone. My only consolation is the fact that they were pie cherries and I'm not terribly fond of pitting enough cherries to make a pie. Okay, that was a lie. I would happily have done so, because, well, I like pie THAT much. Darn birds.

Next year we need to plan our vacation time better. We left in the height of the strawberry harvest and had to sacrifice the last pickings to the neighbors. So, I won't be making as much strawberry jam as I had hoped. I'm not going anywhere during the raspberry harvest. I guarantee it!

Of course, the posts on the blogs I read had grown much like my radishes. Getting caught up on everyone is taking some time. I missed two Works for Me Wednesdays, and the idea of going through all of them is also overwhelming. But, if I don't, how will I know if I am posting an idea that has already been posted? And what if I don't read and miss something that would've completely changed my life for the better? The laundry was less intimidating.

We had such a great and bloggable time on the Cape. I have a myriad of posts milling in my head, and pictures, and I don't know where to start. I am really excited about sharing about so many things that I love. Of course, they may be very boring to others. So, if you don't like beaches, the sea, history, architecture or antique clocks, I apologize in advance!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't even gone on vacation and my life feels overwhelmed. I look forward to upcoming blogs. I enjoy hearing about what your family is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see and "hear" about your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous garden - I hate missing peak garden moments and post vacation catch up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of your garden :)

    what if I don't read and miss something that would've completely changed my life for the better?-I hear you on that, WFMW must not be missed.

    I love the beach and the sea, I want to read all about Cape Cod, can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful plants and flowers! I am jealous :)

    And I'm so sorry about your cherries. Our cherries are getting riper by the day. I'll have to watch out for those birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am awaiting the raspberry harvest! No strawberry patch here. (yet!) Your berries look gorgeous! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our radishes look just like that and we didn't go on vacation! It is because my DH loves to garden and always plants more than we can eat...or he can eat because none of the rest of us like radishes. I loved your flowers!!! We have tons of pie cherries this year (even enough to share with the birds). I will make you a cherry pie when you come next month. I can't wait to hear about your Cape Cod adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are obviously MUCH farther south than I am. . . we don't even have our last frost date until Memorial day, and if I even had a cherry tree, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be anywhere near time for the fruit to ripen. But my lettuce and peas are doing fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers are beautiful, and it sounds like your harvest is coming along so nice!! You are lucky.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! I can't wait to hear all the fabulous things you did on holiday! Plus your garden is amazing. I will have to post a picture of my "garden". You will get a good chuckle I think.

    ReplyDelete