Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Works For Me: Blog Template

Shannon's Works for Me!

This is going to be an obvious tip for more experienced bloggers, but for the newbies like me this may be helpful.

I learn how to do computer stuff by hands on experimenting. This can be bad when it comes to messing around with my blog template. After a couple nail biting, "Why couldn't I have left well enough alone!" experiences I now do two things:

1. I have a "Screw it up as much as I want blog" called Template Playtime. If you are very bored you can visit it here. It's where I experiment with new blog skins, colors and collect images and backgrounds, etc. (Did you catch that "skins" term? I'm getting blog lingo savy now!) It doesn't show up in my blog list on my profile sheet because I made it a non public blog in its settings.

2. Anytime I'm about to really try something bold, I copy my entire template and squirrel it away in a word document. That way I can delete the new mess I make and bring back a fresh copy of the old mess.

What template tips do you have? (Anyone know how to add categories?)

Works for Me!

10 comments:

  1. What a good idea. I am constantly messing up my template and trying to fix it. I am trying to figure out how to do links within a post (like you did to your template page). How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a good idea! I can't even tell you the days of "UGGGGHHHHH" I have had with these templates! I think that will work for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Typepad - so I don't have a clue how to do things on blogger. Okay! So, I don't have a clue on typepad either!! ;D

    great idea though!I might try that too. I do know how to set up a different blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I use word to save my template also. That way if I screw it up too bad, I can always go back and copy the good one from word. Trust me...it happens A LOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no icons on my blog...that is why I have to use Picasa for my pictures too. I will do some experimenting and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Married Mormon Mom of Four
    Married Mormon Mom of Four
    Married Mormon Mom of Four
    Married Mormon Mom of Four
    Married Mormon Mom of Four
    Married Mormon Mom of Four

    It's easier to type it then say it. That's for sure!

    That's a great tip on setting up a template blog. When it comes to my blog, I'm all about trial and error. Lately my errors are far outweighing my trials, so I've stopped experimenting and have stuck with writing the facts. Now, if I had a TEMPLATE blog ... I wouldn't have to worry about correcting all my errors!

    BTW - your garden and yards are beautiful. I truly feel a sense of peace wash over me just looking at those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No tips... I did mine the trial and error way. Your way sounds much more logical, lol!

    I didn't know they were called skins, either! So, you taught me soemthing new! ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting me today.

    (I used to blog before but just getting started again so this tip doesn't really apply to my blog right now but will soon...)

    When I mention something in a post that I've blogged about before, I link a word to that post. I've heard it helps newer readers stay connected with the story, also encourages them to go back and read the archives.

    Also, if you have a list of like 5 of your most favorite posts, you can link to them on your sidebar too.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips, Tess and Jen! I now have fresh fodder to play with on my template...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! That’s a perfect way to honor your children and have a beautiful design as well. I’m really interested in hearing how much the design of the star means to people.Timesheet Template

    ReplyDelete